Aden & Anais Organic Muslin Blankets ... soft, natural muslin to swaddle your baby.
Aden & Anais 100% organic cotton muslin swaddling blankets are a parents best friend. A soft, breathable and generously sized swaddling blanket, Aden & Anais blankets can be used in so many ways: as a stroller or carrier cover to protect from the sun, burp cloth, tummy-time blanket, change table cover, cover-up for nursing, and even a portable crib sheet. Swaddling blankets become softer with each wash, and make a great gift for any new mom.
Why you'll love Aden & Anais Muslin Swaddling Blankets:
- For countless generations, mothers have swaddled and cared for their children with natural muslin.
- Quality, 100% organic cotton muslin is the ultimate in breathability and softness.
- Muslin fabric's light, open weave allows baby to regulate their body temperature naturally, reducing the risk of overheating.
- Extremely soft and gentle on baby's sensitive skin, yet durable enough for everyday use.
- Unlimited uses! Can also be used as burp cloths, nursing and stroller covers, portable crib sheets, stroller and car seat liners, tummy time blankets, change table covers and more.
- Blankets get softer the more often they are washed.
- Generously sized for the perfect swaddle at 47" 47" - both new and seasoned moms alike can swaddle babies of all sizes with ease.
Package of four 100% cotton muslin swaddling wraps. Machine-wash. Each is 47” x 47”.
Why Swaddle with Muslin?
The practice of swaddling goes back nearly as far as human history, itself.
The oldest archaeological evidence of mothers swaddling their babies begins in 4000 B.C. with the migrating peoples of ancient central Asia. The ancient Greeks and Romans swaddled. There are even biblical references to the practice.
Swaddling’s ability to soothe and calm babies has been known to mothers around the world for countless generations. But while the evidence of its benefits has been clear to women for thousands of years and across every continent, today we can turn to science for proof that swaddling is one of the most gentle, effective, and beneficial practices for mothers and their children.
In 2002, the medical journal Pediatrics published a study that explained why babies who are swaddled sleep more peacefully by preventing spontaneous movements (called reflex motion) from waking them up continually during the night. The same year, the Journal of Applied Physiology wrote that swaddled infants stay in REM sleep (the most restorative, deepest sleep) longer than those who were not. There is growing evidence every year that swaddling may indirectly help prevent SIDS, as well.
Swaddling is said to be as familiar to babies as it is to their moms because it recreates the secure and cozy feeling of the womb -- and using swaddles made of natural cotton muslin only enhances that blissful feeling. Muslin is a finely-woven breathable fabric believed to have originated in Bangladesh during the Middle Ages. It's delicate, yet durable weave, makes the fabric stretchy, and therefore ideal for swaddling, as the natural give" allows the blanket to be tucked snuggly around a baby without being overly restrictive.
The lightweight muslin also permits air to circulate around the baby's body, while still providing comfort and warmth without the worry that the baby may overheat in moderate weather. Cotton muslin is also a workhorse fabric, in that wraps woven from this natural fiber stands up to repeated washings only becoming softer -- and better -- with age.
Of course, all the scientific evidence in the world is no substitute for the experience of millions of Mothers through uncountable generations: that swaddling in muslin is one of the most loving, gentle, restorative acts a mother can perform for her child.