Retail Sales Consultant (Orillia, Ontario)
Parenting By Nature is committed to providing excellent service to our customers which is achieved through our knowledgeable and experienced retail consulting team. While there is most certainly a sales aspect to all positions at Parenting By Nature, we do not encourage high-pressure sales tactics. It is the responsibility of our retail consulting team to provide a welcoming, friendly first impression for all visitors at the bynature.ca boutique, answer questions with a good understanding and knowledge of what our customers are looking for, and ensure each customer finds the value in their purchases.
A great candidate for this position will have:
- An energetic, positive + engaging personality.
- A passion for specialty retail and working with a small, intimate family business.
- The willingness to provide information to clients without judgement.
- A commitment to excellent customer service.
- The willingness to become a trusted adviser + advocate for cloth diapers, babywearing, breastfeeding and natural parenting products that are safe, ecofriendly and offer great value to our customers.
- An ability to learn about all our products and why they have been chosen as part of our selection of quality goods.
- Great creative problem solving skills and an keen eye for detail.
- A passion for planet-friendly practices and a good understanding of why these are important.
- Excellent communication skills, including reading, writing, listening, and speaking in front of a group.
- Genuine affection for new mothers, babies and kids.
- Must be comfortable with talking about sensitive topics such as pregnancy symptoms, labour (birth process), postpartum issues, menstruation and breastfeeding.
- A personality that is entrepreneurial, creative and results oriented.
Position & Duties include (but are not limited to):
- All duties and responsibilities of our Merchandise Coordinator position are required for our sales consultant position.
- Generating sales through consulting and educating customers about our products, selection and what makes them unique.
- Opening and closing duties including safe cash handling and safeguarding the stores assets.
- Assist in merchandising, display maintenance, and new presentations of merchandise.
- Housekeeping tasks to ensure the store remains clean, tidy and safe for babies and children.
- Reciving, processing and replenishing merchandise and monitoring floor stock.
- Help customers in locating merchandise or finding alternatives to products we may not stock.
- Maintaining an avid curiosity about the products we sell, being proactive about maintaining your expertise and cultivating those same habits in your team.
- Assist in ringing up sales at register and/or bagging merchandise.
- Communicate customer requests to management and accurately follow up on these requests.
- Assist in completing price changes within the department.
- Participate in on-going team building and sales training activities.
- Participate in year-end inventory and cycle counts.
- Leading or supervising peer-to-peer support groups in our Wellness Lounge.
- Researching relevant topics to get mom's talking and socializing.
- Any other tasks as assigned from time to time by management.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- 2-3 years+ retail sales or management experience.
- Basic math skills required such as calculating taxes based on location of orders shipped, applying quantity discounts to orders placed, adding or removing shipping charges where necessary etc.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 lbs.
- Must be able to climb a ladder and reach overhead stock.
- Must be quality conscious (quality accuracy) and efficient (production).
- Must be detail oriented and able to answer questions about product line and cloth diapering with customers over the phone, by email and in person.
- Extremely organized and coordinated - must be obsessive about organization!
- Comfortable in a small setting, working closely with 2-3 individuals.
- Comfortable working independently, as well as doing regular and repetitive tasks.
- Ability to communicate well, in a clear manner, with colleagues, associates and customers.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be computer savvy, and able to learn how to negotiate email program, shipping program and store administration programs.
- The ability to work under pressure, meet demanding deadlines, and handle stress appropriately.
- Ability to work varied hours as needed, although this is very flexible.
All employees begin their time at Parenting By Nature as a Merchandise Coordinator. Training at this position ensures a thorough understanding of our product selection, procedures, and general working environment. Merchandise coordinators are an essential part of the customer's shopping experience. Advancement from this position will depend on attention to detail, accuracy and communication skills during your training period. Training may be 4-6 months long as a Merchandise Coordinator prior to being on the sales floor.
Strong, clear communication skills and the ability to remain flexible throughout the workday in all working positions, shifting tasks in response to changing priorities, is a must. This means you may be required to perform duties that were part of your original training from time to time.
Compensation and Hours:
Full-time (25+ hours) and part-time (12-20 hours a week) shifts will vary. Current hours may include Monday-Saturday from 9am-5pm with evening shifts until 8pm on Thursday and Friday (seasonal). Sunday's will be added to the schedule with hours from 10-5. You must be able to commit to a minimum 3 days a week, and 1 year of service from hire date.
You must have the ability to work retail hours including days, weekends (Saturdays and Sundays), holidays and special events within a fast paced work environment. Please do not apply if you are unable to work on weekends. A minimum 2 weekend shifts a month are mandatory to maintain employment.
Compensation is competitive with generous flexibility when family needs arrise. We provide on the job paid training. Training may consist of weekday shifts (hours are flexible from 9am-5pm Monday-Saturday).
How to Apply
Please read carefully. Attention to detail is of utmost importance when working with our team.
- Review the job position that may best suit your personality from above.
- Download an application here.
- Drop off the following, in person, to 5 Ontario Street, Unit C, Orillia
- Your completed Application for Employment
- A cover letter detailing why you believe you'll be a perfect fit for our team, as well as how you are currently engaged in leading a more sustainable lifestyle.
- An updated resume.
- See current store hours and location here.
- Please no phone calls or emails.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please no phone calls or emails.